If you’re like me, you may be worried about “losing your mind” as you age. Researchers estimate that nearly 6 million Americans have Alzheimer’s dementia.
Unfortunately, there are not any known cures to the disease. There are natural supplements available that could potentially help, one of which is lion’s mane. In this article, I’ve outlined the best lion’s mane supplements available today.
Table of Contents
Why is Lion’s Mane Beneficial?
If you’re someone who would rather take natural supplements instead of over the counter pharmaceuticals, then you’ll want to check out lion’s mane. Lion’s mane is a type of mushroom that grows in the wild. Asian countries, including China, Japan, and India, have used the mushroom for years.
One of the most primary benefits of lion’s mane is that it can provide a cognitive boost as we age. As we get older, our neurological pathways begin to breakdown, which makes mental functioning significantly more challenging. However, lion’s mane contains two compounds that help fight this, hericenones and erinacines. Initial studies show that lion’s mane can help combat symptoms of memory loss.
Similarly, lion’s mane can also help fight both anxiety and depression. The reason is due to the anti-inflammatory effects that it offers. Although scientists have only conducted studies on mice, the results are overwhelmingly positive.
The anti-inflammatory properties in lion’s mane could also help if you’re dealing with an injury to your central nervous system. The central nervous system involves the:
- Spinal Cord
- Nerves traveling throughout the body
Lion’s mane mushroom could potentially reduce recovery time from a central nervous system injury by more than 40 percent. It could also help in instances of severe brain injuries like a stroke.
The Five Best Lion’s Mane Supplements Available Today
If you’re looking to take advantage of the lion’s mane benefits, you’re in luck. Manufacturers have made lion’s mane available in over-the-counter supplement form. Below are the five best lion’s mane supplements available on the market today.
One of the best lion’s mane supplements available today is this product from Dr. Emil Nutrition. It features 2100 mg per serving, one of the highest possible. Dr. Emil Nutrition also included a patented black pepper extract known as BioPerine to help absorption rates.
The manufacturer grows all mushrooms used for this product in the United States. The mushrooms are hand-picked before going through a state-of-the-art hot water extraction method, which helps to ensure maximum nutrient retention.
- Mushrooms are hand[picked and grown in the United States
- 2100 mg per serving
- Does not contain GMOs or gluten
- Safe for vegans
- Manufactured in an FDA-regulated facility
- One bottle only lasts for a month
- A few customers remarked of a slightly unpleasant aftertaste
- Product may keep you up at night
If you like the flexibility of being able to buy supplements in various serving sizes, then you’ll want to check out this lion’s mane option from Host Defense. The product is rather affordable. Customers can purchase the lion’s mane in 30 count, 60 count, and 120-count servings.
The mushrooms in this supplement are cultivated sustainably, certified organic, and grown in United States forests. The capsules are freeze-dried and activated, increasing their longevity and providing you with continued support.
- Grown sustainably in the United States
- Available in different serving sizes
- Freeze-dried for longevity
- Contains 550 mg of polysaccharides
- Also supports the immune and nervous system
- Customers said the product lost some effectiveness after extended use
- May be too active, giving some customers a headache
- Although affordable, it’s a bit pricier than some other supplements
Those looking for a high-quality, potent capsule will also want to consider this option from Double Wood Supplements. This supplement is the cheapest on our list, costing only a few dollars per month. Double Wood Supplements offers this product as a two-month supply.
Like many of the others on the list, this product is grown and manufactured in the United States. Each capsule contains 500 mg of organic lion’s mane. The product is GMP certified, natural, and goes not contain any GMOs.
- Manufactured in the United States
- Comes in a large bottle with a two month supply
- Very affordable
- Does not contain GMOs
- Reasonable dosage of lion’s mane
- Some customers said they don’t receive as much clarity as they do when using other brands
- Questionable taste
- Some customers complained of light-headedness
If you’re looking for a high dose of lion’s mane, be sure to check out this product from Havasu Nutrition. This product contains a high-quality mushroom powder that aids specifically in stress relief and as a sleep aid. The product can provide anti-inflammatory, immune support as well.
Havasu Nutrition uses high-quality, fruiting body Hieracium Erinaceus mushrooms. The company tests for microbial heavy metal ad chemicals along with purity assurance. Customers can trust that the product they’re receiving is pure and safe to consume.
- The company has committed to supplying safe products
- Helps aid digestion
- Provides cognitive boost
- Uses mushroom powder
- The company uses the fruiting body of Hieracium Erinaceus mushrooms
- Some customers said that they didn’t notice any changes when taking the product
- The pill is transparent, which tends to weird some people out
- May not provide the energy boost you’re looking for
The last product on my list of the best lion’s mane supplements is this liquid extract from North Spore. It’s a bit more expensive than the capsule products on our list. But, because the product comes in liquid form that you can take as a tincture or mix in your drink, it allows for better absorption rates. Customers can purchase this product in two-ounce or four-ounce bottles.
The company uses fruiting bodies instead of mycelium when making this product, which it says offers maximum health benefits. The company manufactures its products in Maine. Putting this supplement in your coffee or tea in the morning could provide you with the mental boost and clarity you’ve been searching for.
- Comes in liquid form, which allows for premium absorption
- Available in two different sizes
- The dropper is marked in serving sizes
- Easy to add to your favorite drink
- Produced in Maine
- A bit more expensive than capsules
- Dosages could fluctuate slightly
- Liquids can be messier than pills
As we age, the increased likelihood of suffering from dementia and other similar mental health issues increases. Fortunately, there are natural supplements available that could help repair damaged nerves and protect our brains for when we get older. Lion’s mane is one of the few different types of supplements available.
If you’re looking for the best lion’s mane supplement, I would recommend Dr. Emil Nutrition’s Organic Lion’s Mane Mushroom Capsules. While I believe that all five of the products on the list could be useful, the product from Dr. Emil Nutrition stood out for a few reasons. I liked that the mushrooms are grown in the United States and hand-picked. I also liked the high dosage that you receive when taking these capsules, 2100 mg. Anyone looking for a cognitive boost should consider giving them a try.