If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best weight gain supplements for skinny guys is then I’d recommend BSN True Mass 1200 as the best one.
Are you a skinny guy struggling to bulk up? For some men, eating right and exercising doesn’t seem to work. Weight gain supplements may be the answer and your ticket to building the body you desire. Like everything else in life, not all products are created equal, so I’m here to give you the skinny on weight gain supplements.
How Weight Gain Supplements Work
It all starts with an understanding of what the supplements are supposed to do. People who hope to gain weight usually focus on building muscle mass. Different supplements encourage reactions in your body to make this happen. When choosing a weight gain supplement, it’s essential to understand how the supplement will affect your body to get your desired result.
Protein is essential to muscle building. The suggested daily intake for adults is 0.6-0.9 grams per pound, and plenty of foods offer protein, like oats and beans. However, if you’re struggling to eat enough protein, supplements can help fill the gaps to ensure you have enough to build muscle mass and bulk up.
The effects of creatine have been heavily researched, and there is strong support for its benefits. Though it’s found naturally in your body, taking creatine supplements increases the amount in your muscles. The increase in creatine in your muscles improves exercise performance and muscle gain.
To gain weight, you need to consume more calories than you’re burning. If you have a high metabolism and you’re exercising, you need to adjust your calorie intake accordingly. You’ll want to select a supplement that is high in carbohydrates (carbs) and protein.
Widely used to improve performance, caffeine is commonly used around the world to improve focus and exercise harder. The idea is to enhance your energy output to exercise harder to gain more muscle. This principle relies on you consuming enough calories, though.
Amino acids are critical to bodily functions. They are naturally present in your body and can be consumed in food.
- Citrulline helps increase blood flow, which can help you stretch your exercise session to gain more muscle over time.
- Beta-Alanine can help slow muscle fatigue during exercise.
- Beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate (HMB), a byproduct of your body breaking down the amino acid leucine, helps with post-exercise recovery and muscle gain.
- Glutamine can increase growth hormone levels, decrease muscle fatigue, and boost your immune system.
How to Get the Most from a Weight Gain Supplement
Supplements are meant to support your regular food intake and enhance the effects of exercise. They work best for people who are having trouble eating enough food to exceed the calories they are burning. However, to get the most from your supplements, you want to start with a solid foundation. If you’re not eating or exercising correctly, a supplement will not help.
Building a Balanced Diet
You need to consume enough vitamins, minerals, and nutrients from food if you want to make gains in lean muscle. Start with a solid base diet that satisfies suggested nutritional requirements for adults, including a variety of foods with an emphasis on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. You should never replace real meals with weight gainers; they are supplements.
Keep in mind, the quality of food matters. Fast food may pack a ton of calories, but it’s low in nutritional value, meaning it can hurt your body. Ask yourself, how likely will you be to excel at the gym after a giant fast-food meal?
Develop a Complete Exercise Program
Likewise, varying your exercise routine and addressing your whole body is critical to building lean muscle mass. Build a program that includes strength training and aerobic activity to see the best results. While strength training builds muscle and bone strength, aerobic exercise increases blood flow and endurance.
Precautions for Using Weight Gain Supplements
Using weight gain supplements can really help you bulk up, but there are a few things to be mindful of before getting started. After you created a balanced exercise program and adopted a healthy, complete, protein-rich diet, take a few more steps before adding in a weight gain supplement.
- Review your diet with a nutritionist to identify any areas that could be improved or altered for better results.
- Consult a physician because some supplements contain ingredients that can affect your body, specifically your kidneys and liver.
- Research your options, including potential side effects. Common issues with weight gain supplements include headaches and digestive issues, but there can be more severe problems.
- Be wary of allergic reactions. Weight gain supplements have caused hives and digestive problems, including stomach infections.
- Weight gain supplements can lead to unhealthy gains by building fat instead of muscle if the calories are not used during exercise.
The Best Weight Gain Supplements for Skinny Guys
Armed with my research on what to look for in weight gain supplements, I thoroughly explored product pages and reviews to find the best options for skinny guys. These five products are excellent options for guys looking for a little help building muscle.
Each serving of this high-calorie weight gain powder packs 1,250 calories, 53 grams of protein, 252 grams of carbs, plus 25 vitamins and minerals. Choose from six different flavors and two package sizes (six-pound or twelve-pound).
Serious Mass is intended to be a calorie boost and can supplement your diet between meals if you’re having a tough time ingesting enough calories. The suggested serving size is two heaping scoops with water, but you can also blend it with fruits and veggies or calorie-dense foods like nuts and peanut butter. Mixing Serious Mass with milk instead of water adds extra calories.
- You can mix up your routine with multiple flavor options (banana, chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, cookies and cream, strawberry, and vanilla)
- An excellent choice for those looking to bulk up
- Perfect for people with busy schedules who need to fit in some extra calories before or after a workout
- You can have it before bed because it won’t keep you up all night
- There are no added sugars in this product
- If you aren’t extremely active, you get bloated
- Drinking it too fast can make you sick
- It can make you too full to eat enough other foods during the day
This powder supplement packs 1,220 calories per serving. It also boasts 50 grams of protein, 215 grams of carbs, and essential amino acids. The carbohydrates in this product come primarily from oats, and you have the added benefit of 9 grams of dietary fibers.
BSN’s True Mass 1200 is intended for heavy trainers who require a lot of calories. The blend is also reported to aid in muscle recovery. Try drinking a True Mass shake after working out, as a snack, or before bed.
The recommended serving is two scoops in 16 oz of liquid. Blend and enjoy once per day to supplement your protein and calorie intake.
- Excellent flavor choices – chocolate milkshake, cookies and cream, strawberry milkshake, and vanilla ice cream
- No metallic aftertaste
- You don’t feel bloated or heavy after use
- Contains complex carbohydrates, fiber
- Contains a whopping 19 grams of sugar
- Some people reported experiencing digestive problems after using it for a month
This high-protein, high-carb blend is loaded with everything you need. Each serving contains 52 grams of protein, 1,280 calories, and 245 carbs. Dymatize Super Mass Gainer is meant for people with high metabolisms and busy schedules. This blend includes creatine to improve strength and endurance during workouts and glutamine to aid in post-workout recovery.
Blend 2 ½ scoops with 24-32 oz of fluid and enjoy once per day. Try mixing it with additional calorie-rich and nutrient-rich foods like peanut butter or fruit for an evening snack.
- Your choice of five flavors including cookies and cream, fudge brownie, and strawberry
- Two convenient package sizes – 6 pounds and 12 pounds
- Loaded with amino acids include 5.1 g Leucine
- Contains creatine, several vitamins, and minerals
- 23g of sugar per serving
- Some people reported mood swings and increased symptoms of depression with extended use
Another calorie-dense option, Combat XL offers 1,270 calories, 50 grams of protein, and 252 grams of carbs per serving. This product relies on a blend of fatty acids, complex carbs, and four different sources of protein to help you recover faster and build mass.
To mix, add four scoops to cold water or milk until you reach the desired consistency. You can take this supplement up to three times per day. Since this product isn’t as chunky, you can shake-and-go or use a blender.
- You can drink these shakes more than once per day
- Substantial gains noticed within a month
- Easy to mix with other foods (try bananas, oats, and peanut butter) for new flavors and additional calories
- Contains additional nutrition in flax and chia seeds
- Only comes in two flavors – vanilla and chocolate milk
- Serving size may be too large for some users
MuscleTech’s Mass Tech is the lowest calorie option on the list, but it provides something different. Each serving contains 1,010 calories, 80 g of protein, 156 g of carbs, and 10 g of creatine. It also carries fewer sugars than the other options on the list at just 9g per serving.
Mix 5 scoops with 16 oz. of water or skim milk as part of your breakfast, a snack, or after your workout. You can also divide the shake and have half in the morning and the rest later in the day.
- Most users notice quick gains
- Mixes well and doesn’t leave you feeling bloated
- The extra protein and creatine are critical for building muscle
- Basic flavors allow you to add in extras like fruit to alter the taste
- The product goes fast making it a more expensive option
- Very thick with a lot of fillers which made it challenging to drink
- You have to use a blender for this one, shake-and-go is not an option
The Bottom Line
Choosing a weight gain supplement requires research and experimentation to find a blend that fills your needs. Make sure you’ve established a diet and well-rounded exercise routine to determine your needs regarding calories, carbs, and proteins. Consider how you want to prepare your supplement because some products are easier to shake and run than others.
In the end, only one product could be named the best weight gain supplement for skinny guys. BSN True Mass 1200 has everything you need to pack on the pounds. It’s reasonably priced and comes from a well-known company. The flavor and lack of metallic aftertaste really put this one over the edge.